Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tackling Technology

This past semester has truly opened my eyes to how technology is changing our world.  While some of it can be scary, it is also exciting to think of all the new opportunities that are also opening up with these changes.  It is a thrilling time to begin a career as a school librarian.  There is a need for teachers, and especially teacher librarians, to step up and lead the way into the future.
As I’ve learned from experience these past weeks, some of the new technologies take effort to learn.   However, it was well worth it.  I am grateful that the course made me take the time to explore some Web 2.0 tools, some of which had been on my list to learn for a while.  Others, such as Diigo, I was not aware of yet now that I have started using it I have discovered just how valuable of a tool it is.  Recently, I noticed that I have been much more eager and willing to investigate new Web 2.0 tools and ideas of how to incorporate them into the classroom quickly follows.
The thought of learning new programs might be intimidating, but the time and effort it takes is well worth it.  They are especially valuable if we are able to bring them into the classroom so that our students can learn to effectively, wisely, and safely navigate the digital world.  There are numerous creative ways to use Web 2.0 tools.  Our education system is changing and must change if we are to provide our students with the skills they will need to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment