Tuesday, November 8, 2011

encouraging change

One of my favorite things about this class has been the way that my eyes have been opened to the use of technology in the classroom.  I am inspired every time I read Will Richardson’s book.  Technology creates a number of creative ways for students to learn and be engaged.  I understand the pressure teachers are under and that they do not always have the time needed to explore the possibilities of bringing technology in the classroom.  However, this makes me more determined that the role of the school librarians should be to assist in bringing web 2.0 tools into the school and helping students learn necessary 21st century skills.
Looking at Google Earth this week was really interesting.  Although I had heard of Google Earth, I had never taken the time to really explore it.  Now that I am more aware of all that it has to offer, the number of possibilities it has for education is amazing.  It also fit really well with my professional development project theme of virtual field trips.  Part of my reason for choosing the topic was to help busy teachers realize one way that they can incorporate technology into their own classrooms.  I would hope that virtual field trips would be a starting entry into encouraging teachers to build more lessons involving technology and for them to realize how many possibilities there are out there.  Hopefully, teachers are also open to the idea of collaboration with the school librarian.  I feel that collaborative lessons are a good opportunity to involve new technology tools and 21st century skills.  There are so many new ways for students to learn.  When I am a SLMS, I hope to help integrate and technology and new ways of learning into the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment