Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beginning of the Semester

Being new to online classes, I was a little hesitant about how the class would go and what to expect.  So far, I have survived the first week and I am optimistic about what lies ahead.  The set-up of the class is very different from the traditional class, but is very fitting considering the subject of the class.  Being given the opportunity to use blogs, bookmarking tools, rss feeds, etc was a little overwhelming at first, yet is providing me a chance to learn the new technologies, which will hopefully play a prominent role in the education system soon.  Another benefit of online classes, is that I feel that my education is in my own hands.  Not to say that this is not the case with traditional classes, but I feel that traditional classes hold you more accountable, while with this online class I have the mindset that the effort that I put into the class will determine how much I learn and what I get out of the class.  Again, this is not untrue of traditional classes, but it is a good motivator for studying hard this semester!
Furthermore, this week’s topic of assistive technology made me appreciative of the fact that every child in America has the right to an education.  It is refreshing to think of all of the rules and technologies that exist to bring out the potential of every child regardless of the obstacles they may have to work to overcome.  It is important to make sure that the school library has tools to help students with disabilities since the library is a central spot in the school where all students will come to access information.  No child should be isolated from information and learning.  The library should be a spot where all students feel welcomed and able to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment